Khalsa Gurmat Center is an independent community based non-profit organization focused on education, empowerment and civic engagement for kids and community members. To fulfill that mission the center has established an enrichment school for kids; conducted healthcare, parenting, legal clinics; and created collaborative partnerships with different government and non-profit community organizations.
The dedicated team at Khalsa Gurmat Center have served the children and their families in the Seattle region of the State of Washington since 2006 and formally incorporated in 2014. We believe that we need to come together as a community to nurture every child and ensure that they lead an inspired life. This required a partnership of families, teachers and administrators working together to create an environment that fosters learning and growth.
- Students are currently enrolled in classes that teach Sikh history, Punjabi language, Sikh Martial Arts, Music, Arts, Mathematics and Creative Computing
- Robotocs and Technology camps to make STEM education fun for students
- Adult ESL and computing classes to give adults the necessary tools for today.
- Career workshops with distinguished leaders, in medicine, healthcare, law, social justice and engineering
- Workshops on Financial aid and opportunities in Higher Education
- Voter Registration Campaigns to ensure active particpation by the community
- Translation of voter education information into Punjabi for more easy access
- Presidental Caucus Workshop to explain the caucus process and how folks can particpate in it
- Organized Immigration workshop and training
- Legal Clinic with the South Asian Bar Association to provide free legal help to community members
- Community Health Fair to offer Free FLU Shots for seniors, Medical Consultation from different specialties and screenings for Vision, Dental and Foot Care
- Hosted the White House's AAPI Task Force's Anti-bullying Workshop for students and parents
- Conducted several Teacher's training workshop on Sikhism in partnership with Wing Luke Asian Musuem
- Hosted a Hate Crimes Forum with other community and faith leaders along with Federal and State agencies
- Particpated in different Interfaith events to discuss issues that span different communities
- Particpated in numerous diversity events in King County and different cities in greater Seattle region
- Collaborated with 4 Culture to conduct workshops on Poetry on Buses